I have been a regular customer at Surf
Lodge for the past few years but after this weekend I will not be back. The doorwoman/owner is a miserable individual and her partners should seriously monitor her juvenile behavior. It is literally like dealing with a spoiled child.
1) She is impossibly disrespectful to customers. She looked at me and asked if I "even go out in NYC". For the record, I've lived in NYC for 10 years and my job entails entertaining wall street traders 2-3 times per week.
2) She is uneducated. We are talking dumb as rocks to the point that as much as I hated her I also felt badly for her. She gets her facts wrong, makes false accusations and embarrasses not only her self but the staff surrounding her. This was evident as a member of her security team pulled me aside to apologize for her "disgusting behavior" and that no one should be treated that way much less a customer.
3) She makes outlandish statements. A friend of mine and his girlfriend walked up to say hello to me and she told the couple they couldn't come in because they knew me. Right - because that makes all the sense in the world. Make them suffer because they said hello to me. Logical and business minded choice.
4) She comments on people's appearance out loud and makes hand gestures to emphasize her point. This is something I would strongly discourage a woman who looks weathered beyond her years.
5) Based on the clientele waiting in line it APPEARS that Surf Lodge could soon be an 18 and over club. Instead of fighting with good customers maybe she should pay closer attention to the age of those piling into this newly cheesy establishment.
6) On a shared taxi ride home later that night a girl told me her evening turned nightmarish because of the doorwoman at the Surf Lodge. We then proceeded to exchange stories and one up each other on her stupid antics.
Based on this review one would think I was disorderly or drunk when trying to enter the club. Why else would a doorwoman get so bent out of shape? In reality, I just asked if I could wait in line since I didnt have a dinner reservation. Prior to working in finance I worked as a hostess for three years at an upscale bar/restaurant. I just can't wrap my brain around her treatment of people. Its atrocious. If you don't believe me just google her. Plenty of others share my view.
I will certainly pull my business from Surf Lodge and Lavo where she also works and where I've held several events. I will encourage my colleagues and friends to do the same.
The owners of upscale Cain nightclub establish a glamorous hideaway on the shore that wears a mask of understatement.. In Short The setting is Fort Pond, half a mile from the beach, and this surf-themed boutique hotel seems to embrace the Montauk vibe without sacrificing elegance. While the service is attentive, the atmosphere luxurious and the experience relaxing, the target might still be those for whom "summer" is a verb. Rooms feature clean bleached walls and artwork by local artists, plus amenities like iPod docks, wireless internet and private sundecks, all of which complement the hip but easygoing vibe throughout. Photo by Joe Termini